This post was originally published on this site
RDAF F-35s have started supporting the Quick Reaction Alert service intercepting a Russian Il-20 Coot-A over the Baltics.
Last week, Royal Danish Air Force F-35A fighter jets were launched for the first time to identify and track a Russian ISR (Intelligence Surveillance Reconnaissance) military aircraft over the Baltic Sea.
The F-35 pilots took off from Fighter Wing Skrydstrup and, upon reaching the Baltic Sea, visually confirmed that the aircraft, tracked by ground-based radars, was a Russian Il-20 Coot-A aircraft.
As per SOP (Standard Operating Procedure) in case of peacetime intercept missions, the Danish pilots shadowed the Russian aircraft as it operated within Denmark’s area of interest near Bornholm before returning to their base in South Jutland. The Russian military aircraft remained in international airspace throughout the mission.
“It is absolutely crucial that Danish fighter jets assert Danish sovereignty when Russian military aircraft approach Danish airspace. With the F-35, we now have a state-of-the-art capability that enhances Denmark’s defense power and strengthens NATO’s overall deterrence and defense in the region. The situation in the Baltic Sea remains tense due to Russia’s attack on Ukraine, and together with our Nordic neighbors, as well as Poland and Germany, we have a special responsibility for regional security,” said Minister of Defense Troels Lund Poulsen.
While the intercept was no different to the many ones carried out by NATO fighters almost daily, the mission of the RDAF F-35s marked the first operational mission since the aircraft was declared ready to perform the core tasks required of Denmark’s fighter fleet. Moreover, although the F-35 officially started supporting the QRA task on April 1, the aircraft and crew were ready ahead of schedule, allowing them to complete their first mission in late March, before the official starting date.
“We have reached a stage in the F-35 transition where it is no longer solely about education and training. The aircraft is now actively contributing to operational missions, and I am naturally proud of that,” said Jan Dam, Commander of the Air Command.
For the time being, the Danish Armed Forces will continue to commit both the F-35 and F-16 to the QRA service. Denmark currently operates 17 out of 27 F-35 aircraft ordered and delivered since 2021.
“The F-35 capability must be developed step by step to ensure it can fully assume all operational roles required of Denmark’s fighter fleet. Therefore, it makes sense to continue using the F-16 for repulse operations while our F-35 crews focus on training and mastering the more complex aspects of the aircraft’s missions.”
The Danish Air Force is on track to fully phase out the F-16 by the end of 2025, at which point the F-35 will assume full responsibility for the QRA duty.

Danish F-35 commitment
The first operational mission of the Danish F-35s, comes as the Danish government said it remains committed to purchasing additional U.S. F-35 fighter jets despite strained relations with Donald Trump, who has expressed intentions to annex Greenland, Denmark’s autonomous territory.
“We must strengthen our fighter jet fleet, and acquiring more F-35s is a completely logical step,” Defense Minister Troels Lund Poulsen told local media outlets following Denmark’s announcement of a significant increase in defense spending.
The debate over whether Denmark should continue purchasing U.S. military equipment has intensified recently, following Trump’s aggressive stance toward Canada and criticism over NATO and Europe; a rhetoric that, among the others, also fuelled the myth of a “kill switch,” a way to remotely disable or impair the F-35s operated by foreign allies.
As a consequence, Canada announced it would reassess its F-35 purchase and explore alternative options, so as Portugal, which dropped its plans to procure the 5th generation fighter.
However, Poulsen defended Denmark’s continued defense cooperation with the U.S.:
“It is completely unrealistic to think we could cease cooperation with the United States or stop purchasing its military equipment. While it is concerning to hear statements from a new U.S. administration that we disagree with, ending more than 75 years of defense collaboration would, in my view, be entirely wrong.”